To many Server administrators, it is not an easy task to select a Server 2003 partition software, considering data importance, they don't know which partition software for Server 2003 is the right choice and how to repartition without data loss, so in this article, I'll introduce the most popular partition software for Windows 2003 Server.
Why Server 2003 partition software is needed
Low Disk Space on 2003 Server
The same with other Windows editions, Server 2003 also continues to download updates and you need to install some applications to fit for some requirements on the Server. Windows and applications caches, browser history, temporary files, etc. eat up the free space very quickly, so the system C drive is running out of space and 'Low Disk Space' warning pops up. You need a partition software to resize Server 2003 partition and optimize disk space usage.
With Server partition software, you can easily optimize disk space usage, just drag and drop to shrink the data partition with large amout of free space and extend C: drive without deleting or reformatting.
Clone Windows Server disk partition
To most important to a Server administrator is always keeping the Server online. By copying the old small hard disk to another larger, you can
- Backup Windows and vitally important data.
- Rapidly replace original hard disk when it is failure.
- Migrate data to larger drives without reintalling Windows.
Server 2003 partition software list
Diskpart command line
Diskpart command line is built in Windows and is free, meanwhile, it has many limitations, such as
- The partition you want to extend must be formatted with the NTFS, FAT partition cannot be extended.
- Only DATA partition can be extended.
- You cannot extend the partition if the system page file is located.
- The unallocated space for extension must be the next contiguous space on the same disk.
- Operations cannot be undone, incorrect operations are very likely lead to data loss.
- Comparing with graphical user interface software, command line is hard to use for many users.
- Stop Server running for a long time.
Server 2003 partition software - Acronis Disk Director Server
Acronis Disk Director has long history to support Windows Operating System and File System. It provides partition manager, partition recovery and disk edit features, GPT, MBR and dynamic disks are supported, but the price is much expensive, $609 could purchase 4.4 copies of Partition Assistant Server, even Partition Assistant Unlimited edition plus free lifetime upgrade requires $ 489.
Server 2003 partition software - Partition Assistant Server
Partition Assistant Server is not only safe itself with built-in Enhanced Data Protection technology, but also integrated Disk/Partition Copy to keep your data intact while resizing partitions.
It helps you resize partition, extend, shrink, split and merge partitions without losing data, furthermore, if the system partition is NTFS, you can extend it withou rebooting.
Server 2003 partition software resources
- How to resize Server 2003 partition?
- How to extend C drive on Windows 2003 Server?
- How to change partition size on 2003 Server?
- How to resize partition under VMware Server?
- How to resize RAID 1 partition on Windows Server?
- Partition manager server for Server 2003